What is 'it' you ask?
Potty training. (Stop reading now if you want. It's ok. I understand!)
Ugh. I'm excited and terrified all at the same time.
Yesterday two things happened that I'm still uncomfortable with.
1) We cancelled our subscription with Amazon for our diapers. As of today...no more diapers for M will magically appear at my doorstep every month or so.
2) We introduced our baby girl to her first pairs of 'undies.' (Yes, I call them undies. The word 'panties' has always bugged me.)
What we've done so far:
1) We've read a couple potty books on and off for the last few months. Potty and The Potty Book - For Girls. She really likes The Potty Book for Girls.
2) At night, after bath, she has 'diaper free time' in her room and we read books on her blankie. She's been successfully peeing her little potty most nights before bed for quite some time and hasn't had any accidents during this time. I'd say we started this, I don't know how long ago...a few months ago at least, when we started reading the books with her.
Our (I say our...when it's really my plan) plan moving forward:
1) 'Diaper Free' time anytime we are at home for a significant amount of time. I just want her to get used to using her potty during the day and more often than just at night before bed.
I tried it this morning after she woke up. I sat her on the potty right away and she went #1 (yay!). Then we ate breakfast (I put a towel in her high chair) and played. I made her sit on the potty several times throughout the morning and kept her potty out in the main living area when she could always see it. We were accident free from 8am until 9:30am.
2) We will still use diapers at night, for naps, and for outings for the time being.
I haven't thought too much yet about how and or when I'll actually start having her wear undies at home. For now, I want her to have no where (not even undies) to relieve herself except for her potty while at home.
Baby steps for now. Baby steps are better than no steps...right?!

What I've seen with the nieces and nephews is that they have to decide when they are ready. As annoying as that is. They're 2. What do they know?
ReplyDeleteI'm surprised I read this whole post. :P