8.21.2010

Madison's Arrival

I wanted to let everyone know how Miss Madison Smyser decided to grace us with her presence on Friday, August 13th (minus all the yucky details, because really, who wants to think about that). This will be a long entry, but I'm going to bold the important/funny parts, so feel free to skim through my ramblings!


Thursday, August 12th, I went in for a non-stress test and check-up as I was just 3 days overdue at that point. The appointment went well, and I was told to plan on coming back the following Tuesday for another non-stress test and an ultrasound if I hadn't had her by then. After those tests, we'd talk about inducing. I really felt like nothing was going to happen, and in my head planned on having her the following week. I joked with Josh that I was glad because I didn't want to have a Friday the 13th baby. Josh was so supportive of this and sang, "1-2 Freddy's coming for you," multiple times to me that day. Jerk. :)

Later that evening, Josh and I went to dinner at Exotic Thai with my Dad and brother. Brandon bought our dinner (what a nice brother), and I casually joked, that he was buying my last dinner before I went into labor.

Around 9:30pm, Josh and I just sat down to watch the "So You Think You Can Dance" finale we had dvr'd (yes, Josh is a fan of that show and watches it willingly). All of the sudden...I felt something different, and I ran/fast waddled to the bathroom...just in time for my water to break! I started to panic a bit and couldn't believe that "it" was finally happening. I yelled for Josh, and we called the doctor's office. I packed a few last minute items and we were off to the hospital!

We were finally admitted and all settled in around 1am. We were up all night in labor, and at about 4am I decided the have an epidural because contractions are NO fun and being told to just "breath through them" was irritating me. I had really wanted to try and have her without drugs, but oh well... (A huge kudos to all you Mom's with natural drug-free deliveries!)

Around 1:15pm on Friday it was time to push. And I did just that...for 3 long, tiring, exhausting hours. I was physically exhausted from being up since 8am Thursday morning, and I was also starving the whole time since I had not eaten since dinner around 6:30pm on Thursday. Go figure, I'm having a baby, and all I can really think about is what I want to eat once she is born.

About 2.5 hours in, we discovered that Madison had a bigger head than they had thought, and I have a tiny pelvis...what a great combination, right?!? Finally, the doctor arrived around 4pm (I'm guessing), and had to use the vacuum to assist in the delivery. She arrived at 4:17pm with a head full of hair, just one small wail, and eyes wide open. We couldn't believe she was only 4 ounces from being a 9 lb. baby!!!

Josh was absolutely the GREATEST husband throughout the delivery. And, I had the best nurse! I am so thankful because I don't think I could have done it without them.

Delivering Madison was one of the most challenging experiences of my life, but also the most wonderfully indescribable. Seeing Josh hold her for the first time melted my heart...he finally had his "mini-Meg!"

1 comment: