10.16.2010

102.6

My baby girl's first fever! :( On her two month birthday of course. You'll probably see a LOT of ":(" in this post.

My Dad was visiting last Wednesday. Around 6:30pm she was a bit fussy, and I figured it was just because she was getting hungry. I went to change her and when I laid her on her back, she SCREAMED. Her face got deep red, her eyes popped open, her arms and legs went crazy, and I immediately picked her back up. I knew something was wrong.

I calmed her down, and tried again. She screamed again, but she needed changed, so I went as fast as I could. I figured once I started nursing she'd calm down. Nope. Our little chunk wouldn't nurse. Ok...now I really KNEW something was wrong. :(

I called my cousin, Erin, (a Mom of 3 with 1 on the way, and she's a nurse, too), and she stopped over since she was out driving anyways. My Dad said maybe she had a tummy ache or gas since she wouldn't eat. So, Erin brought some drops to help relieve gas (as there were no other symptoms besides the fussiness). We tried those, and she seemed to calm down while being held (but she didn't really burp or toot).

After a bit, I kissed her forehead and thought it felt warm...so, we took her temperature. 102.6. I started crying. I felt horrible for her. I called the doctor-on-call. He told us to give her Tylenol and to bring her in Thursday if the temperature didn't go down. That seemed to help, and she finally ended up nursing. Dad and Erin went home (Josh was in Des Moines), and we went to bed around 10:30pm. Well, Madison slept (on her side)...I stayed up just watching her sleep I was so nervous.

She still had a temperature Thursday morning around 101, and still screamed when laid on her back. Our appointment wasn't until 1:15pm. She was really tired Thursday morning, but was nursing at least. We finally made it to the doctor. After checking her out, our Doc. couldn't find a definite cause for the fever, so she told us we had to go and have Madison's blood drawn, and to have chest x-rays. Of course this scared the living day lights out of me. But, off we went.

After waiting for FOREVER, it was time. I was trying to prepare myself because I knew I wouldn't like watching her get stuck, and I knew I'd probably have to help hold her, and I knew she was so uncomfortable on her back. Well, I don't think I could have prepared myself enough. As we held my poor baby down, she screamed the loudest I have EVER heard her...the kind of baby cry where they stop breathing in between screams. She had veins popping out of her deep red little face. :( AND, to make matters worse, the nurse was not able to get the blood out of her first arm, so after trying that for what seemed like FOREVER, she finally had to switch to the other arm!!! I lost it then and started crying. They let me hold her and comfort her while they prepared for the other arm. I think she was comforting me, too! Geesh. Finally, they had the blood drawn, and we were done.

After that, we headed down for her x-rays. Oh goody. More holding down my sick baby. :( After laying her on the machine (on her back of course), with one nurse holding her arms up by her ears, and me holding down her legs, she technician went to shoot the x-ray...AND THE F-ING MACHINE wouldn't work and re-started itself. (Sorry for dropping the F-Bomb, but I was at my wits end here!) So, more comforting and waiting. Then, more holding down my screaming baby. They took their two shots....and then decided something wasn't as clear as it should be for the second shot. (Seriously now...what the...) so, MORE holding down and more screaming so they could re-do the x-ray. I actually didn't cry during this procedure...I think I was too angry.

**Let me stop here and make sure I state that I totally respect those in the health care profession field. I know they were all just doing their job and doing the best they could do. I also know they weren't purposefully trying to make Baby Madison cry. I also know that all these procedures were of course necessary to find out what was wrong, so I knew it was the best for Madison.**

So, back to the doctor's office to await the results. In the end, her chest x-rays were good, so no pneumonia or other issues there. But, her white blood cells were high, meaning she had some type of infection. :( So it was a good thing we tested her blood. The type or cause of the infection is unknown at this time. The doctor suspected a urinary tract infection (she said until the age of 3 some children get those sporadically for no specific reason), and if that's what it was, it was NOT due to anything I had consumed. She would have had to use a catheter to test Madison's urine, but didn't want to put her through another procedure that day.

So, Madison got a shot (yes, more holding her down, although, not as long for that at least) of antibiotics, and 3.5 hours later, we were on our way home. She slept and ate and slept until Daddy got home late Thursday night. She finally cracked a smile once she saw Daddy, so I knew she was feeling better. Her temp was down to around 99.5, too.

Friday morning, we had to go back for another antibiotic shot. Her fever was gone, and she was able to be laid on her back without discomfort. I have a prescription for antibiotics that I have to give her for the next 8 days. If she gets another fever with an unknown cause in the next 3-6 months, she'll have to have the catheter put in for sure in order to test her urine.


Here she is, exhausted, but feeling better, Friday morning after her second doctor's appointment. (Yes, she finally sleeps and is more content in her car seat!)


I know this whole ordeal was probably MUCH harder on me than Madison, and I know Madison won't even remember all this! It was just a first experience for a new Mommy with a sick baby, and one I know I will experience again, as all children get sick and get hurt growing up. There is nothing worse than watching your baby in pain or discomfort and not be able to help them or to know what is wrong.

But, we survived. Madison was pretty much back to normal Friday, and even played on her play mat last night!! What an ordeal though!!! Madison won't remember it...but it's definitely an experience I won't ever forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment