7.19.2012

Too Much TV?

TV. Ugh. One of my biggest sources of 'mommy guilt' surrounds the amount of TV I allow Madison to watch. I know the recommendation is no TV until the age of 2 (broke that rule), and after age 2, only 1-2 hours a day. I'd guess that M watches (or that the TV is on) anywhere from approx. 1 - 4 hours a day. Grrrr. Broke that 'rule' too! And yes, I count the time she's in the car watchin' a movie, too. I tend to feel guilty because I feel like I'm not spending enough time with her and that I'm relying on TV a bit too much...

On one hand, I know the importance of interactive activities together and the benefits of learning/reading/playing/exploring as much as possible. And, I am purposeful and thoughtful of our time spent together.

On the other hand...sometimes I need to her to be entertained on her own...(for my own sanity).

 And...she actually is learning some things from the shows I let her watch. So there!

Anyways...I'm constantly monitoring her. I honestly don't feel she's addicted to TV or anything. When it is on at home, she's still usually playing with her toys or running around the living room throughout the show. I don't think I've ever seen her actually sit and zone out for too long. 

And, I don't play any long animated movies for her (just in the car since she watches them in parts). I also don't like for her watch any of 'our shows.' She mostly watched Disney Jr., Nick Jr. and PBS.

M would still prefer to be outside playing. This has been tough with our recent/constant 100 degree weather...we can only be outside for so long safely. She's also at a tough stage since she still requires constant supervision (and sometimes I need to be inside to get other things done). She loves being active...so I am feeling ok. But, I also feel like sometimes I need to put forth more effort in reading to her or teaching her things. *sigh* And that is the why I sometimes feel a bit guilty... 


I don't know. Your thoughts or opinions are welcome...I'm really not looking for reassurance that I'm a good mom or anything...mostly, I'm just venting and trying to make myself feel better. Haha!

Thanks for listening! :)

1 comment:

  1. Try having music on instead of tv for a couple of those tv hrs... U can find interactive kids music tht will prompt her while she is playing. I found tht they really like the noise/sounds while they play.Just a thought to decrease the amount of tv time?

    ReplyDelete