1.28.2013

Official OFFICIAL Potty Training - Part 2

(Obviously from the title this post is about M and pee and poop. Feel free to skip this one. I know it's a little TMI.)

Ok. So where are we now after six weeks?

We are still continuing with undies all day except for at nap and through the night. Currently she's had a majority of successful days with no accidents and some days with just one accident. The accidents usually occur when I haven't initiated taking her to the potty. All her accidents (except a couple) have been at home. I guess I'm more on alert when we're out and about.

 I'd say she can hold it pretty successfully for about a 90 minutes to two hours maximum. I still have her try every hour and a half or so if we're home...or if we're about to leave to go somewhere.

She's super comfortable using toilets in public, and for that I'm SO SO thankful. I bought a little portable potty that sits on top of toilets...but lately I keep forgetting it and just end up holding her without the portable one. It's a little gross I guess...but...you do what you gotta do. Carrying around the potty seat seemed to be more of a hassle. Sometimes I just use the covers provided, or lay out some toilet paper on the seat if it seems really gross.

(Random sidenote: All public restrooms should have a sink accessible to toddlers (or some kind of step stool). Seriously. I'm SO over trying to hold her up and balance her on my knee without squishing her belly while getting water everywhere!)

She hadn't gone #2 in the toilet for probably the first month...mostly because she'd been doing it in her diaper either right away in the morning or right when she wakes from her nap. Around the end of week 4 she had a few #2 accidents. It was not fun. I was about to lose it with the potty training around that time, too. I felt like she had learned to hold it...but had NO clue how to tell me or anticipate needing to go. It was frustrating. I felt like I was doing something wrong. I felt like I had failed teaching her how to use the potty. It was a rough few days for me.

But then...after a few too many accidents (in my opinion) around week 4/5, I decided to go back to her being naked (on the bottom) while at home. And we watched her shows about going potty on the toilet every day. And she FINALLY started getting herself to her little potty on time. She's even gone #2 several times. And, just last week we were in public and she actually stopped playing and told me she had to go potty. It was wonderful. I was SO SO happy. She also was downstairs with my Dad last week (I was upstairs) and she stopped playing and told him she had to go upstairs to go pee and poo (she did both). And, she was in her bath and told me she had to go. Whew. Just when I was about to lose it. Something clicked for her. THANK GOODNESS!



She's now at the point that she knows she can hold it. And, she almost always puts up a fight if you want to take her to the potty. She'll almost always say that she doesn't have to go if you ask or tell her to go. I've learned just to take her to the toilet...once she's on it, she'll either give in and end up going pretty easily...OR she'll arch her back refusing to sit and refuse to go (which I just let her skip it then), and I've learned to just trust her. She can even take off her underwear (when we're at home) and sit on her little potty all by herself.

We're gonna just stick to what we're doing these next few weeks. I think I'm going to put her little potty just outside our bathroom though (it's usually in the living room) to gradually get her used to going to the actual bathroom to go potty.

Part 3 will happen when I think she's ready to start staying in her undies during nap. But for now. I'm super happy with where we're at and how well she's doing.

I'm so proud of her.

And...I'm proud of me. I seriously about lost it a week and a half ago...like seriously...like I was crying all by myself about it. Geesh! Oh, and thank you to my family and friends who've listened to me and gave advice these past few weeks. It's been SO much appreciated!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment