The Triplets' Birth Story
I woke up easily Wednesday, January 22, anticipating the arrival of my three sons. (THREE! Still in disbelief occasionally!)
I was excited. I was scared. I was ready one moment, and totally not ready the next.
I took a shower, got M ready, and before I knew it, 9:30am arrived, and crowded in our entry way was my Dad, my Aunt Kim, Tracy, Bev, and our dear friend (and photographer) Kelli. We loaded up, and headed to IA City.
My stomach was unsettled because I was so nervous, and I was quite uncomfortable (because I was so big) for the 45 minute ride to the hospital.
Here we all are walking through the skywalk to the hospital. My belly looks ridiculous! lol!
.jpg)
Walking into Labor and Delivery, I remember feeling like it was a dream. I couldn't believe the day was really here! I really wasn't sure what to expect. Our family waited in the lobby area, and Josh and I were taken to my room where I would be prepped for surgery. I changed into the 'beautiful' hospital gown, and 3 monitors were hooked up to my belly to scan the babies. It took a while to find all three. I had an IV put in, and then...it was just time to wait.
My three bracelets for my three boys!
A few doctors came and talked to us about what would happen and gave us time to ask questions. After a while, being on my back became too painful. So, they let me switch to my side, but then had to readjust all the monitors. That was kind of annoying, and my patience was limited due to my anxiety about the c-section.
Josh was given his white 'bunny suit' to wear. Can you believe he took a selfie? He did it just for me. :)
I was scheduled to have my c/s start at 1pm...but 1pm came around, and I was told there were two emergencies that the doctor and the anesthesiologist had to tend to. So, about an hour later, it was GO time. It was hard waiting that extra hour. It was boring. And, it gave me more time to think and worry...
Finally around 2pm they wheeled me back. To be 100% honest. I was pretty terrified at this point.
I received my spinal anesthesia, which wasn't that terrible. And then, I was laid down, and the blue curtain was put up in front of my face. I was pretty worried about what I would and would not 'feel.' The anesthesiologist did his tests to make sure I was numb where I should be, and then, all the sudden, I was told they were beginning and Josh was let in to be near me. The anesthesiologist did most of the talking to me. He checked to make sure I was feeling ok. He told me about their progress throughout the c/s. It was kind of funny because I actually felt the most comfort and care from him since he was really the only one talking to me!
At 2:37pm, we welcomed Cooper into the world.
He was 5 lbs. 6 oz., and 17 in. long.
.jpg)
His brothers, Tucker, and then Carter followed at 2:38pm.
Tucker was 6 lbs. 3 oz., and 18 in. long.
Carter was 5 lbs. 13 oz., and 18.5 in. long.
.jpg)
.jpg)
All of the sudden each of the babies were briefly brought to me, and then ushered away. I don't even remember really seeing what they looked like. It was odd, and makes me sad as I write this. :-( It was hard to focus on the babies when you know you are cut open, too!
.jpg)
Josh went with the babies while I stayed to have my tubes tied (no more babies for us!) and to complete the c-section. I still remember feeling so anxious, and just wanting everything to be done. At one point, the doctor said, "I see your appendix, it looks great!" Um. TMI!!! TMI!!! That comment still bothers me.
Here are some awesome shots of Josh and the babies immediately following their birth.
.jpg)
.jpg)
What a proud Daddy!
.jpg)
After what seemed like a long time. I was finally done, and wheeled back to my recovery room. I remember feeling so tired. And, it was weird and really sad to not be with my babies. But, I was also sooooo tired that it felt nice to be a darkened room and to just rest by myself.
After a while, my family came to see me! I was SO glad to see them all. Especially Madison of course! She was officially a Big Sister!
.jpg)
I missed that little one, and I was told she was very worried about me, and kept asking for me.
.jpg)
One of my favorite pictures.
They all eventually went to grab a quick dinner while I continued to rest. I ate a lovely snack of apple juice and crackers.
After 2 hours in the recovery room, I was then taken to my postpartum room where I would stay for the remainder of my recovery time. The babies were all doing well, and were in the nursery. They were brought to my room and I was finally able to hold them! It was still a bit overwhelming both mentally and physically.
To be honest, I was still in disbelief that I had 3 babies. THREE!!!
.jpg)
Love these photos.
.jpg)
.jpg)
Well, this is it for now. I wanted to record this day, and most importantly share some of the AWESOME photos Kelli captured. I was SO glad Kelli was able to be with us that day, so that I am able to see so much of what my family experienced since I was away from them for what seemed like so long. There are many more great photos that I may share on FB one of these days.
My recovery after the c-section deserves it's own post...which I may share some time, too. Up next is the Triplets' One Month post...I hope to have it done this weekend before I forget things!
Happy Birthday, Cooper, Tucker, and Carter!
Welcome to the World!!!
*all photos (except for Josh's selfie, and the bracelet one) are courtesy of the wonderful Kelli of Bearfoot Photography.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Crying at work! Beautiful!
ReplyDelete