2.08.2014

We've Survived The First Two Weeks!

(A mish-mash of information. I've been working on this post here and there for the last few days. I'll post more about their birth story later. Just wanted to get this recorded while I can!)

We brought home Tucker and Carter on Sunday the 26th. It was bitter sweet leaving our peanut, Cooper, behind.

Our family was truly complete once Cooper joined us at home on Wednesday the 29th.
Cooper failed his car seat test the second time, so he's in a special car seat that allows him to lay flat. I'll post more about Cooper in my birth story post.

The most challenging part of our days in the beginning was/is feeding time. We are keeping them all on the same schedule. So feeding, burping, and diapering the three babies every 3 hours is what drives the rest of our schedule for the day.

Josh was able to take the week off from work after they were born, but he had to return to work on Monday the third. I got brave on Sunday, and made myself be home with the triplets and M during a feeding time to figure out and learn how to feed all three on my own. It really wasn't as bad as I expected. There is usually one that is still sleeping, so it made it somewhat smoother to be able to feed and burp two of them. Then, wake the third and feed him before changing diapers on all of them.

I am also breastfeeding and pumping as regularly as I can. We are supplementing with formula for now. I feel I am producing enough milk for two newborns...but I need to work on building my supply. In my dream world, I'd love to be able to provide breast milk for all three. So...we shall see. Pumping takes time...and time is limited now that I'm caring for 4 children! :)

I am exhausted most of the day...but it's a GOOD exhaustion. My exhaustion is something that is quickly forgotten whenever I'm caring for or loving on my sweet boys.


Yesterday was their two week appointment. They are all gaining weight and doing well!
Cooper weighed in at 6lbs. / 19.5 in. (birth weight was 5 lbs. 6 oz.)
Tucker weighed in at 6lbs. 14 oz. / 20 in. (birth weight was 6 lbs. 3 oz.)
Carter weighed in at 6lbs. 12 oz. / 19.25 in. (birth weight was 5 lbs. 13 oz.)
Their lengths are really rough estimates. They are pretty squirmy and it's kind of challenging to get their lengths.

So...the last few days I've worked really hard on getting them on a schedule that seems to work for all of us.
Feedings during the day work best at:
6am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm - Give or take a half hour or so.

It works well because M tends to get up around 7am, then after their 1pm feeding everyone can nap around 2pm, and then after their 7pm feeding we can have time for M's bedtime routine around 8pm.


During the night I play it by ear. They are doing fairly well all sleeping together and staying on the same schedule. It's always the toughest if ALL three wake. Usually just two wake and that's manageable. I am actually getting sleep at night, and try and lay down for a nap once during the day.

Cooper sleeps in his crib, and the other two are sleeping in their Rock-n-Plays for now. Occasionally I put all of them to nap in the crib with Cooper, or one in bed with me depending on how badly I need sleep during the night. Overall though, they are doing great! The boys do tend to sleep through each other's crying which is amazing to me...but I'm so glad!


I am sleeping in the nursery with the boys for now and caring for them through the night since Josh has long work days. I actually don't mind. And, I tend to do better with less sleep than Josh does. I need Josh to be happy so I can be happy, too!

I am healing ok from my c-section. The area around my incision is still quite tender, and my belly area is still working on shrinking down. Without my ab binder, I still look a little pregnant...oh well. I'm doing ok physically I guess...just ready to feel 100% again. I still have some pain from a UTI that's common after surgery. I'm tired of having restrictions and not being able to do everything on my own. Oh well...I know it will come with time. Overall, I was not happy with having to have a c-section, and although recovery is different than a vaginal delivery...it's been much harder on me than I expected.

I can easily tell my boys apart. (Sometimes in pictures it's more difficult.) Tucker has darker hair and a different shaped face than the twins. His skin is more olive-toned. He resembles Madison the most. The twins have lighter hair (it sometimes looks blonde!) and smaller ears. Their skin is lighter. Their features look more delicate to me. Between the twins they are sometimes harder to tell apart...but right now, Carter weighs a pound more. Carter and Tucker are good eaters, and Coopers is the slowest eater. Tucker knows how to nurse...but is lazy and chooses not too! Carter is the best at nursing, and Cooper and I are still working on getting him to nurse.

Their personalities are also different. Cooper is the most relaxed and easy going. He is usually the most alert, too, and the most patient. Carter is the best sleeper (so far). He is also fairly easy going. We call Tucker the 'golden child.' He tends to be the first to cry and the most 'needy.'

Madison is doing WONDERFUL with her brothers and our new family. She is SO sweet to them and tells them she loves them and misses them. She loves snuggling them and helping me with them. If they cry, she says, "Mama! Tucker needs you!" She also says, "Mama, I think Carter wants his big sister to hold him." She knows all their names, but she can't tell who is who yet. If they cry she'll also go them and snuggle them and say, "It's ok, brother, Big Sister is here." It melts my heart!


During the first two weeks we've just enjoyed being home and being together. :) We had their newborn photos taken and went to the doctor a couple times. We've had visitors and it's fun to introduce family and friends slowly to the boys. It's been nice. I do not plan on taking them out and about until after Feb. 17th (their official due date).

Life with the new additions is quite different, as expected, but I do think we are all adjusting quite well.

Our transition home and to our life as a family of 6 would not be as easy as it has been thus far without all of the love, support, help around the house and running errands for me, food, gifts, diapers, etc. that we have received and are still receiving from our wonderful family and generous friends.

THANK YOU all from the bottom of my hearts. Josh, Madison, the boys and I are so lucky to have all of you in our lives.

I hope to post their birth story soon. Kelli captured some amazing photos that day and I will post those, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment