1.08.2012

"Granite"

Last week, Josh was watching the DIY channel and caught a show featuring a product called, Giani - Granite Paint for Countertops. Basically, it's an inexpensive way to make-over your counter tops giving you the look of granite for less. A LOT less than actual granite counter tops. We weren't in love with the color of our counter tops in our kitchen and had talked about getting new ones sometime in the distant future...but hey...for approx. $80 why not try this?!

You basically paint on a primer, then sponge on the mineral paints, then add the final clear topcoat. Their website has all the details and videos that I watched about 100 times to make sure I was doing what I was supposed to be doing.

So, Friday afternoon I took everything off the counters and scrubbed them well with a basic cleaner. Then, later that afternoon, I followed their directions and wiped them down twice with just water to remove all residues.

Here's the counters, all clean and ready for primer. We weren't huge fans of the color of the counter. It has (had) a subtle rose/pink hue, and we felt it blended a bit too much with the color of the cabinets.

After M went to bed Friday night, Josh and I taped everything off, and then I painted on the primer.

Saturday morning, the sponge painting began.

Saturday night, I added the first layer of the clear topcoat.

Sunday morning during M's nap, I added the final layer of the topcoat. And during her afternoon nap, I removed all the tape and cleaned up.

DONE!

Total Cost: Approx. $165
This was for 2 kits that included all paint, sponges, foam brushes and rollers. We bought 2 kits just in case, and I did end up using some of the topcoat from the second kit. This price also included all taxes and shipping, AND it included the additional 4 bottles of the counter top cleaner we ordered. (We had extra foam brushes, painter's tape, and the paint tray already.)

Total Time: Approx. 9 hours
For cleaning, taping, painting, sponging, applying the top coat, and clean up. Dry times were 8 hours after the primer, and 4 hours after sponging and each topcoat. So, basically, it is a weekend project...and without a 1 year old...you could probably finish it within 2 days.

What I Liked: Easy to follow directions and easy to do for a beginner DIY-er like me. You can create your own look with different combinations/amounts of the paints. After finishing, I actually wish I would have kept it a bit darker...but oh well!

What I Struggled With: The top coat was the most difficult thing to apply...but I managed ok. Working in the large corners was not fun!

We will have to see how durable it is.

Would I Recommend It: Yes.
If I can do it...you can do it. Of course it's not as good as granite, and we weren't doing this to play it off as actual granite of course...but it's great for a quick change/update to your counters. You could use it in bathrooms, too!

A couple Before and After comparisons for ya!



Anyways, Josh and I are happy with the new look!

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a project and a half!! It turned out great though!!!

    ReplyDelete