11.26.2013

28 Weeks - Ultrasound Update

We had our growth ultrasound today. And, the numbers are in!

Baby A - 2 lbs. 14 oz. (60th %)
Baby B - 3 lbs. 1 oz. (76th %)
(the twins)
Baby C - 2 lbs. 15 oz. (69th %)

Apparently, my body is pretty good at growing 'big' babies! Josh and I were both surprised at their approximate weights. Personally...I was just hoping they were all around 2.5 lbs., but they all surpassed my goal! It's hard to imagine about 9 lbs. of baby in there (M was almost 9 lbs. at birth)!

They also watched each baby for the number of movements, and to be sure they were practicing breathing, and all three did well. Their fluids were all fine. Their heart beats were all fine. My blood pressure and everything else is looking good. I've gained about 28 lbs. The doctors were very happy with our progress thus far. These kind of appointments are the best as my spirits are now lifted, and I'm definitely feeling happier and more at ease with their development.

Here are a few pictures...they aren't the best because it's getting crowded in there. So, it's more challenging to get 'good' pictures.

Baby A's profile.

Baby B's face.

Baby C's face.


I will now go every week for an ultrasound and appointment.

We also toured the NICU today, and spoke with some of the NICU staff to start getting an understanding of what to expect and how things will go during and after delivery. It was great talking to them, but a little overwhelming, too, with all the information.

Just a couple of the things they shared with us that stuck with me most so far is that there will probably be about 12 staff members in the room - 3 for each baby, and 3 for me! The doctor also told me not to be alarmed if I don't hear crying from them when they are born.

We learned about the benefits of the steroid shots I will probably get closer to delivery to help their lungs develop and help with a couple other things. And that they will likely have to have help breathing and eating for a while.

We also spoke about my intentions to breastfeed, and they are very supportive of me pumping/nursing as their development allows. So, that was nice to hear.

From what we understand, the 'magic' number of weeks that I'd ideally like to make it to is 34 weeks - January 5th. Seems like a LONG time to still be pregnant...but I guess I should focus on days...since each day is an accomplishment at this point.

Also, at this point, I also want family and friends to know that while we SO appreciate all the love and support we are getting, and will get once the babies are born. Please be patient and understanding about visiting them in the NICU (and once they are home). There are strict rules about visiting the NICU of course to keep not only OUR babies, but all the other babies healthy, too. You all know me...I'm sure I'll post plenty of pictures on FB and the blog to keep y'all updated!

For those of you who think I was kind of a germ-a-phobe before...I have a feeling these preemies are going to bring it out like NO other! I'm already looking for the signs to put on their car seats that tell people not to touch them and remind people to wash their hands. Not only do I not want them sick of course...but if one does get sick, I have to worry about 2 more (and M) also getting sick! Eeeee!!!

Ok. Nap time for this Mama before M wakes.
Happy Thanksgiving week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment