Ready for photo-overload?! (Oh, and of course the quality of the photos aren't the best, but you get the idea....)
We started with this...an above ground pool had been removed....what to do with the yard and a path to 'nowhere??' We decided to add a fire pit and patio! Josh had kind of an idea of what to do, and I had no idea how to do this...sounds fun, right?!
Day 1:
My husband decided that a large bush/tree thing was in the way...I'm not so sure it was really an issue...pretty sure he just wanted to push it over with the bobcat.
Although we had a nice flat cleared area, we did need a bit more, so Josh got to work leveling it out.
My Dad helped to add the form where the fire pit will be.
Then they had to compact the new area Josh had dug up.
Then, the long, long, long process of adding rock.
Almost done! Talk about tiring work! Josh moved it all by wheel barrel.
Day 2:
After the storm on Sunday, Josh poured the concrete for the slab underneath where the fire pit will go. (G'pa Lou supervised.)
Then, G'ma Bev got to work!
Great job smoothing it, Josh and Bev!!! for the record, Bev was MUCH better at this than Josh. He left lots of lines and uneven areas....
Day 3:
Next, Josh laid a form for where he'd place the sand layer for the first section he'd pave. By this time, Ryan had joined to help.
Sand was all leveled.
And now...the fun part!
Daddy and his baby girl.
After all the pavers are laid, he'll build the fire pit. And, we have great plans for more additions, such as stone benches, built-in tiki-torch holders, a stone structure to hold the wood).
We decided it was kind of funny our first project was outside and kinda geared towards entertaining...since #1) I hate bugs and the 'bonfire smell' that overtakes your clothing and 2) We're kinda introverts who don't necessarily LOVE entertaining all the time.
However, Josh loves bonfires in the fall, and I love s'mores. So...that won us over.
I'm so thankful for all the help from our friends and family this last weekend! Tracy was over on Monday as well and helped carry the pavers for Josh. He will continue to lay the rest of the patio this week, so I will continue to take (bad) photos of the progress.
Do, I have the BEST husband ever or what? He works 50+ hours during the week, and spends his whole long holiday weekend working on a home project, too.
*Oh, and just for the record...I did mow the front of our lawn on Monday and helped move pavers with Tracy (besides caring for M of course)...I wasn't a complete lazy bum. :)
Megan! This looks amazing :) We are suckers for a good fire pit...but down here it is our Christmas Eve and New Years tradition.
ReplyDeleteyou are brave. We looked into the work a paver patio takes and paid someone to do it! Can we come for s'mores sometime? ~Alli
ReplyDeleteNice work DIY friends!!
ReplyDeleteWhen are you making me s'mores? I promise I'll leave by 9:00PM. :)