5.13.2013

Disgusted with A&F


When I saw this image and this article floating around FB, I was appalled.

I've just now learned that A&F does NOT make clothes in XL or 2XL for women, and their jeans stop at size 10.

I immediately vowed to myself to never purchase clothes from this business...and I will not allow Madison to either (once she is older obviously).

After the shock wore off, I remembered when Coralville, IA opened their new mall. I believe I was a sophomore or junior in high school. I remember my friends and I asking/begging our parents and getting permission to take a day trip there...which was a big deal since it was about an hour drive. The store we were most excited about was Abercrombie & Fitch. I can still picture the long sleeve shirt and sweater I purchased...for an extraordinary amount of money. I remember feeling anxious about spending so much of my hard earned money on a couple shirts, but I was also excited, and couldn't wait to wear my new shirts to school. Mission accomplished from the CEO's perspective I guess. :(

As a mother, I hope that I raise Madison to understand why this man's statements are hurtful to so many people - no matter their size - and in so many ways for so many reasons. I hope that when she's old enough to understand, I can read her this man's statements and ask her how it makes her feel, and if she feels she should support this man's business by purchasing clothes from A&F. (As a side note - as an adult, I've been very uncomfortable with the hyper-sexual ads A&F used anyways.)

I actually feel very sorry for this man.

No comments:

Post a Comment