Last Thursday we headed to IA City for our first Level 2 Ultrasound and to meet with the specialists.
Here is my current vitamin regimen.
Prenatals, plus extra folic acid, calcium, and iron.
So, as of Thursday, I'm happy to report that all three babies are growing at an appropriate weight and all organs are also developing with no known issues at this time.
Baby A was 11 oz.
Baby B was 13 oz.
(The twins)
Baby C was 14 oz.
However, there is concern with the twins that share a placenta. Because of the growth gap (and differing fluid levels) between them at this time, I will be monitored with weekly ultrasounds. The twins are at risk of developing Twin-to-Twin Transfusion Syndrome (TTTS). From what I understand at this time (talking to the doctors about all this is kinda fuzzy for me), the placenta is only made to nourish one baby, and sometimes with twins that have to share, one baby gets too much, and the other, not enough. :( Fluid levels can change weekly and drastically...so a lot of monitoring is all we can do. There is nothing I did, or nothing I really can do to help the babies share the nutrients equally. At this time, if the babies fluid levels stay the same as they are now (or improve), I can still carry them for 32+ weeks...but again...it's not in my control.
So, all we can do it wait and see and hope that Baby B learns to SHARE a little bit better!
Surprisingly, I have NOT googled TTTS. Can you believe it?! I am purposefully staying away from websites and stories (both good and not to good at this time). The possibility of them developing TTTS is of course weighing heavily on our hearts and minds. I'm doing my best to stay positive. But...I'm also a realist...and know that there is a possibility of some tough decisions and situations in our future.
I'm anxiously awaiting my next ultrasound next Thursday with hopes of good news.
From now on, we are switching all my care to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. I felt very comfortable with the doctors and nurses there, and I feel that the babies and I will get the best care with them.
And...for all you (im)patiently waiting for the gender announcement...we get our pictures taken tomorrow (as long as it doesn't rain) and we will announce soon after! I know we've taken forever to announce. Sorry! But...I will give ONE clue. They are ALL the same! So...any guesses?!

All girls. ;) I'm thinking positive thoughts all the way through. I don't blame you on not checking on that ttts.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Sonie!
Delete