3.01.2011

Weaning Is a Funny Word

Weaning. I'll say it. I think it's a funny word. It makes me feel very...animal-like...however, it's been on my mind, so here I am blogging about it. Again, this may be a TMI post, and I may regret this later, but whatev...

Our goal when Madison was born was to breastfeed for the first 6 months. Well, that's come and gone...and now Josh and I have to figure out where we go from here. I find it weird to be thinking of transitioning her to formula "just because." I've been feeling some odd pressure (some from myself, and some from Josh) to stop nursing her because she's getting older. Josh keeps asking me what I'm going to do when she gets teeth. He's more worried about that than me, which I find funny. He is also more frustrated on how nursing her affects our schedule and availability (during the day) since I do not nurse in public. It doesn't bother me as much...

The first month nursing Madison was hell for me...and I almost gave up every day. However, I am so glad I stuck with it. My favorite time of the day is nursing Madison before she goes to bed. It is quite possibly the most wonderful 20 minutes of my day...no matter how the day went, during that time with Madison, all that matters is my sweet baby girl, that connection we have, and her complete comfort and happiness with me as she drifts off to sleep is indescribable. It's selfish, I admit it.


So of course...just as I stressed about sleep training for forever, my current obsession is googling, thinking about, stressing about, and worrying about weaning and introducing solid foods...

Anyways, I think for now, I am going to continue nursing. I do think it's ridiculous to switch her to formula "just because." And, I want to continue to save $$. I hope by her first birthday she'll only nursing maybe twice a day (morning and night). As we continue to feed and increase her solids, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll naturally drop her daytime feedings.

Randomness: Madison now reaches out when I go to pick her up. It's adorable. She also does a little hug/snuggly move into your shoulder.

Oh, and I realized I am a bad blogging Mommy, and I didn't even document Madison's first Christmas! Geesh...so, I'll be doing that soon...only 2+ months late! :(

2 comments:

  1. I'm still weirded out about breast feeding in general (it seems very unnatural to me even thought it's one of the most natural things..i'm just weird)...so weaning makes me laugh. :P

    So... I read too many blogs. Have you heard of baby led weaning? Basically the kid eats what you eat....kind of interesting...more for you to google! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to read about what we may be going through down the road! I'll be going back to work at 12 weeks, so will have to start pumping but I hope to make it to 6 mo + too. I also really struggled with breastfeeding this first month and it's just starting to get better. I'm glad to know I'm not alone and that you felt it was all worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete