3.19.2012

M Won't Eat!

Ok. I'm being a bit dramatic. I should rephrase my title...to "M Won't Eat Any New Foods or any Meat!"

Seriously...I can probably count on my two hands the ONLY foods M will consume. She pretty much eats the same meals everyday.

All she's doing here is licking the jelly off her toast....she wouldn't even touch the scarmbled eggs. *sigh*

Here's a breakdown of M's eating preferences (and yes, I realize I'm probably the only one that cares, which I totally understand).

- She won't eat regular oatmeal...so I'm still feeding her Gerber Baby Oatmeal in the mornings...for the past few weeks I have occasionally started adding a couple big spoonfuls of regular oatmeal to her mix (I eat the rest of the regular oatmeal - which is why I only do it occasionally). I hope to continue to increase the regular oatmeal until she's ok with regular oatmeal. Currently, she's ok with the mixture...but she will refuse to eat straight oatmeal still.

- She eats lots of crunchy snack type food - like cheerios, crackers, chips, etc.

- She loves trying fruits and eats them whole - her favorites are grapes, watermelon, and berries.

- She only eats squash, green beans, and sweet potatoes pureed - she used to eat carrots...but not any more. She also has tried corn...but didn't like it. She also doesn't like regular mashed potatoes for some reason...

- She won't eat any type of meat or bean - although she once ate half of a chicken nugget.

- She LOVES french fries. (Who doesn't!?)

- She won't eat sliced bread - regular or toasted - in strips or chunks - or whole so she can take her own bites...she just won't eat it. Seriously, who doesn't like bread?!

- She ONLY loves bread sticks and the pizza sauce from Casey's.

- She used to eat quesadillas and grilled cheese sandwiches...but won't eat them anymore. I suppose I should try again one of these days....

-She likes cottage cheese, cheese cubes (but not slices *sigh*), and yogurt.

-She used to eat bananas whole, but will now only tolerate them occasionally mashed in her oatmeal.

-She loves Mac-n-Cheese...but only Easy Mac - not from any restaurants.

-I've tried scrambled eggs a few times...they are a no-go.

As a first-time and overly anxious Mommy, I'm not sure how I should be handling this...but it seriously gives me major anxiety if I start thinking about it too much because I just get worried about her not having a healthy and balanced diet. I've googled and googled and googled...and have contemplated calling our doctor. But...I guess I'm choosing to vent on the blog instead for now...

I've let her try lots of food...and she does put things in her mouth but spits them out. Also, once she doesn't like something she throws it off her tray...she doesn't want it anywhere near her. I guess I have to give her credit for at least trying the food.

A few weeks ago, I tried a semi-pureed organic beef lasagna mix (mush). She cried when I set it front of her. She eventually played with it a bit and I saw her lick her fingers...but when I finally got her to try a spoonful...once it was in her mouth she cried! I've had the same reaction when I've given her spaghetti...with no meat even...just marinara sauce and noodles.
What in the heck am I supposed to do when she cries?! Of course I gave her something she wanted. the thought of her going to bed hungry makes me sad.

I know that it could take like 10+ times of trying something before they may like it...so maybe I'm just not being patient and persistent enough?

She also only has her first 4 molars (one on each side top and bottom) so maybe she just needs more teeth to chew better since she still doesn't have all her teeth. Maybe she'll just grow out of this phase?

I think the real issue is that I feel like it's all my fault. I'm feeling a lot of Mommy-Guilt for not helping her/teaching her/encouraging her to enjoy food more...and for maybe being to hesitant on the foods I would let her try when she was younger?! I just don't know...but I just feel like it's my fault. :'(

Ok...my whining is done. *sigh* Sorry for the kinda 'blah-blah downer' post...but that's life, too, I guess.

**I wrote this post about 3 weeks ago and then just couldn't decide if I wanted to post it since it was kinda me just complaining...but...I decided to anyways.**

UPDATE: As Of This Week

I have a new positive update...M will eat banana - chocolate chip pancakes now!!! :) I cannot even tell you how happy that makes me! Yes, I put some mini-chocolate chips in them...and yes, I call them, "pancake muffins" (since she likes muffins). But, I'm just so happy she is eating something new (I had previously tried pancakes a while ago and she refused). And, I'm happy because pancakes are something that I can add other fruits to in order to help balance her diet. :) (Oh, and no syrup for her M...I added lots of mashed banana so they were pretty moist.)

SUCCESS! M enjoyin' her pancake-muffins.

Overall, I have just kept reminding myself that Madison is a healthy little girl. She sleeps great and is very active and happy. I think I just need to relax, and continue to let her try new foods at her own pace. I have been feeling much better the past couple weeks compared to how I was feeling when I first started writing this post.

Oh, and random update - I'm starting to let her practice drinking from a cup!

9 comments:

  1. I'm not a pediatric doctor but my niece and nephew have about the same variety of food in their diets. Seriously. I think the only things I saw them eat this week-end were peanut butter sandwiches and blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Seriously, after our last visit and you talking about your toddler niece and nephew I totally started feeling better. I think I'm just a spaz. :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds just like Makayla!!! Our pediatrician said it is normal for toddlers to go through a phase where they will only eat certain things and some days seem to not eat much at all. There have been days when I don't know what Makayla is living on!!! The only thing she wanted to eat for a while was dry cereal! It didn't matter what we put in front of her, she just didn't seem to eat! Our pediatrician said they'll eat when they're hungry and as long as they seem healthy and active otherwise you shouldn't be worried. We give her a multi-vitamin everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! :) I think I will look into a multi-vitamin for M. Good idea...it will make me feel better anyways!

      Delete
  3. I think that as long as she's eating period is good. Until they become underweight I don't think a dr will be concerned. My kid is weird and she'd eat pretty much anything given to her but sometimes just doesn't want to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...she is almost 30 lbs...so I know she's within a healthy weight anyways. Makes me feel better to hear other Moms share their kids' eating habits...thanks!!!

      Delete
  4. Megan, your post made me feel like I'm normal for worrying about Wynn's eating too! He eats pretty well most of the time, but has days where he'll only eat yogurt. He too will throw things he doesn't like - especially his green veggies! I think sometimes they're just practicing their independence and have realized they can make choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna! I feel so crazy sometimes worrying about M!

      Delete
    2. Worrying just shows how much you love her!! Another thing I forgot to mention - I have heard awesome things about the Jessica Seinfeld cookbooks that have recipes to "hide" veggies and other nutritious food in meals. They're in process of being shipped to me, so I'll let you know what I think of them!

      Delete