4.16.2012

Working Mom v. SAHM v. WFHM

(That last one is Work-From-Home-Mom by the way.)

Yes, this post was inspired by the recent comment from Hilary Rosen and the public coverage/outrage/discussions that have since followed.

Anyways, here's my two cents. What's the most important word that they all share? MOM! No matter what, we are all Moms. We all want what's best for our children. We make choices in our lives that benefit us as Moms and as women.

To me, a Working Mom saying a SAHM doesn't "really work," is like a SAHM saying a Working Mom doesn't love her children as much as a SAHM. Both statements are generalizations and unfair.

And what about me...I don't consider myself a SAHM or a Working Mom since I am a WFHM. Where does that leave me? Oh yeah...WHO CARES?! I am a Mom. :) I'm just doing what's best for my family and for me.

And also, I wish I hadn't even titled this post with the 'versus' symbol. As women, we should not be against each other and judging other Moms and their decisions...we should just support each other. Every woman/mom/parent for that matter, just needs to do what's right for them, for their families, for their lives.

Anyways, just because I can't have a post without a picture. Here's my most recent favorite photo of M and me. (I think she's officially lost all the 'baby' in her face!)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Megan! I couldn't agree more!! We all make choices to do what is best for our families. We need to support each other so that our children grow up and know that it is important to make choices that work for them also! Thanks :)
    From a Part time Working Mom ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I guess I should have added PTWM to the title! ;)

      Delete
  2. Well said, Meg! I've often faced the stereotypes and had to defend myself on those same topics. I'm criticized because I'm a working mom, but would give it all up in a heartbeat to stay at home. Like you, I do what's best for my family. We shouldn't have to defend ourselves - especially to other mom's!
    Thanks for being so honest!

    ReplyDelete